Yesterday, January 20, marked one year since President Biden’s inauguration. Accordingly, I think this would be an appropriate time to assess his performance. I don’t want to be overly critical, but in my opinion his performance can be summed up in one word, F. U. B. A. R. He has been firmly under the control of the far-left wing of the Dem Party.
As I will outline below, everything he has attempted has been botched, and the policies he has managed to enact have benefited others, not the US. One can argue whether this is due to incompetence, intent, or a blind desire to negate anything accomplished by former president Donald Trump, but in any event that is how I see it. Unfair, you say? Too harsh, you say? Read on as I defend my assessment.
Firstly, let’s look at his positive accomplishments. That’s easy; there have been none. I cannot recall anything he has accomplished that has improved the lives of Americans. If you can, I would like to hear it.
On the other hand, there have been many negatives. The following, in no particular order, are the ones I consider to be the most egregious. I have blogged on each of these before, so there is no need to repeat them in detail at this time.
- Opening the southern border. He reversed former president Trump’s stay-in-Mexico policy, which was working, and halted construction of the wall. As a result, hundreds of thousands of illegals have been pouring in, some of which are likely terrorists and/or COVID-infected, as well as untold quantities of drugs which are literally killing us. In some areas the drug cartels have virtually taken control of our own border.
- Halting the Keystone Pipeline. He accomplished this via executive order the first day as if he couldn’t wait to do it. The result was to negate America’s energy independence and return us to dependency on OPEC and other foreign actors for our oil. The predictable result has been a sharp increase in the price of home heating oil and gas at the pump. According to AAA the average price of regular gas has increased to $3.30 from $2.39 a year ago. As a by-product, he wiped out thousands of middle class jobs, which cannot be replaced. His excuse was to protect the environment, which many experts say is fallacious. Also, if he was so concerned about the environment why did he allow Russia to build a pipeline in Europe?
- Inflation/The Economy. His policies have injected trillions of dollars into the economy supposedly to help those in need. The much-ballyhooed COVID relief packages were mostly “pork.” The result has been the worst inflation in 40 years. Also, have you noticed the supply chain interruptions? In some places the shelves are empty as in Soviet Russia.
- COVID. During the 2020 campaign he boasted he would defeat COVID. Instead, fatalities are higher than they were under Trump, and there are severe shortages of testing kits, therapeutics and monoclonal antibodies. Moreover, his fixation on those who have chosen not to be vaccinated has divided the country.
- Foreign Policy. The withdrawal from Afghanistan, while the right policy, was executed incompetently. The result was that we left behind untold hundreds of Americans and Afghani allies as well as some $85 billion of equipment. Worldwide, most of our allies mistrust us and most of our enemies sense weakness and no longer fear or respect us. In yesterday’s speech he practically invited Russia to invade Ukraine when he indicated a “minor incursion” would be acceptable. What the heck is a “minor incursion?” I assure you it would not be “minor” to the Ukraine people. This appeasement of a thug reminded me of Neville Chamberlain’s appeasement of Hitler in Munich in 1938. We all know how that turned out. Later, White House spokespersons Jen Psaki and Kamala Harris moved to “clarify” the incursion comment saying any move against Ukraine would be an “invasion” for which Russia would pay a “heavy price,” but the damage had been done.
- Crime. What can I say. All one has to do is turn on the news. Habitual criminals are being released from prison or not prosecuted at all. Felonies are being downgraded to misdemeanors. Misdemeanors are being ignored. Random shootings are common. Liberal prosecutors are more focused on the rights of criminals than their victims. Law-abiding people do not feel safe. In NYC people are afraid to ride the subways. Even newly-elected mayor Eric Adams has acknowledged their danger. Biden and his woke allies have simply been ignoring the problem.
I am confident that many of those who voted for Biden now have “buyer’s remorse.” They thought they were voting for a moderate, a calm unifier. Instead, they got a cognitively-challenged, far left socialist or, perhaps, a weak leader who has allowed himself to be dominated by the far left wing of the Democrat Party.
He has denigrated as racists and unpatriotic, Republicans, Trump supporters, moderate Democrat senators Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema, the unvaccinated, and any other groups that have opposed his policies. Rather than being a unifier, he has been divisive. Even worse, he seems out of touch with the American people. Rather than focusing on the issues that are important to voters, such as inflation, the economy, the southern border, and crime, he rails about “voter suppression,” the Senate filibuster rules, racism, and the unvaccinated.
No doubt, many Americans would love to have a “do-over” of the 2020 presidential election. But, alas, there are no “do-overs” in politics. We are stuck with Biden for the next three years unless he is removed pursuant to the 25th Amendment. If that were to occur we would go “from the frying pan (Biden) into the fire (Harris).”
The warning signs are up for Biden and the Dems. Some 28 Dem congresspersons have announced they will not be seeking re-election in 2022. Most observers are predicting a “red wave” in 2022 with the GOP seizing control of both houses of Congress.
Additionally, according to the latest Associated Press poll only 28% of voters think Biden should run for re-election in 2024. Furthermore, the latest generic poll of likely voters released by Trafalgar Group disclosed that 56% would favor the GOP candidate and only 42% the Dem candidate. Even worse, much of the mainstream media, even commentators on stalwart supporters such as MSNBC and CNN, is starting to turn on Biden.
If Biden does not run in 2024 who would replace him? Surely, not Harris. Her poll numbers are worse than his. But, not to worry. Waiting in the wings for a third go-round in 2024 is none other than ………….. Hillary.