We shouldn’t be surprised. It’s not as if the Dems didn’t give advance warning. The signs have been there in plain sight for those of us who were paying attention. They have been planning this for months, if not years. Now that they have gained control of all three branches of government they can act with impunity, and they know it, and they are doing so. The Dems, the social media outlets and the media have formed an unholy alliance to control the country. Anyone who does not toe the far left line, who dares to offer a dissenting opinion, who does not submit will be crushed. If they can do all this to the president think what they can do to you and me. As Senate Majority Leader, Chuck Schumer, giddily predicted months ago “everything will be on the table.” Those of you who are silent now think of the song “Bad Boys.” “Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?”
I see parallels between the current situation and Nazi Germany of the 1930s and Soviet Russia. Make no mistake about it. This is a very scary time for us all.
The demonstration at the Capitol last week was just an excuse. Yes, it was wrong; it was dangerous; it was extreme; and people died. Everyone agrees. I have not heard one person defend it. There is no defense. But, is it grounds for impeaching a president who is leaving office in one week? Is it grounds for the runaway PC that has followed and, in all likelihood, will continue to follow? More on that later.
Keep in mind, we are talking about one incident that got out of hand. I submit that it was a far cry from all the rioting, looting and lawlessness that the Dems, BLM, ANTIFA and their sympathizers perpetrated in many cities throughout the summer and fall. As anyone who followed the news knows, people were killed; their businesses were destroyed; churches and government buildings were burned; police were attacked, injured and killed; and alternative “countries” were established in the middle of Portland and Seattle. Harris, Pelosi and other Dems openly supported these riots and even helped provide bail money to put those arrested back on the street. Why weren’t they charged with insurrection and sedition? Biden and the mainstream media stayed silent throughout. I didn’t hear all the widespread outrage we are hearing now.
That said, let’s examine the current extreme, over-the-top reactions by the PC crowd. I will cite just a few examples courtesy of Fox News. You decide if they are appropriate or extreme. You decide if they are examples of suppression of free speech guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. Keep an open mind.
- Today, the House led by Speaker Pelosi voted to impeach President Trump for a second time. This was truly an ill-advised and time-wasting endeavor. The Constitution views impeachment as a very serious and deliberative process, not a snap judgment to be completed in one day. Mitch McConnell, the Senate Majority Leader, has stated that there is simply not enough time for the Senate to conduct a trial before the President leaves office on January 20. Furthermore, according to renowned attorney, Alan Dershowitz and others the Constitution does not permit the impeachment of a former President, so the Senate cannot act after January 20 either. Therefore, this impeachment, like the one earlier this year, will not result in a conviction. Jesse Watters commenting on Fox News reported a poll by the McLaughlin Group that 77% of voters in the battleground states think it was a protest that got out of control, not an insurrection. They consider impeachment to be divisive and a waste of time and money. They would rather the Congress focus on COVID. In my view, Pelosi is grandstanding for the left wing of her Party. Hello, Nancy, we are in the middle of a pandemic. People are suffering; people are frightened; people are dying. Why not focus on that instead of acting like a modern-day Nero.
- A Newsweek reporter named Darragh Roche has advocated putting Senators Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley on the “no fly list.” Keep in mind that this list is reserved for terrorists and other dangerous criminals. Cruz and Hawley are far from that. They elected sitting US Senators. What was their “heinous crime?” Advocating for an an audit of the 2020 election results in a few states. This was not unique. Historically, such audits and investigations have not been uncommon.
- Simon and Schuster, who are they publishers of Hawley’s new book, have dropped representation. On what legitimate basis? Who pressured them to do so?
- Senator Dick Durbin has introduced a bill to classify Trump rallies as domestic terrorism. What rallies? He will leaving the presidency in one week. To me, this is inane grandstanding. Durbin should know better.
- Forbes magazine has proposed blacklisting former White House staffers who might apply for a job prospectively. Why punish staffers just because you hate Trump?
- The major social media outlets have conspired to silence and destroy Parler, a new media outlet that had the audacity to publish conservative opinions. Unknown forces went so far as to pressure Parler’s attorneys to resign. I thought in America everyone had the right to legal representation. Even terrorists and the worst criminals do.
- The Bar Association is considering taking action against Rudy Giuliani because he was working on behalf of President Trump.
- The PGA has announced it will not sponsor any events at a Trump-owned facility.
- And my favorite, a PBS attorney has advocated putting children of Trump supporters in “re-education ” camps. I kid you not. (I understand his employment has since been terminated.)
Even if you hate President Trump, even if you think he has been the worst president ever, that is still not justification for the above measures. The “left” and its PC have truly run amok. These measures are un-American. They are akin to those imposed by Soviet Russia and other autocracies back in the day. And they’re just getting started. What’s next? Denying Trump supporters a mortgage, a car loan, admission to a college, the right to fly? The possibilities are endless. The country is heading down a slippery slope. It will not stop with President Trump. Who knows where it will end.
President-elect Joe Biden has been proclaiming he wants to unite the country. Sounds good, but actions speak louder than words. Joe, this is your chance to reach out to the other half who did not vote for you. How about showing some leadership by telling the Dems to “stand down.” You won. Rather than being vindictive, how about being gracious in victory. How about thinking of the country for a change.
This is a very dangerous time for America. We are divided as never before, with the possible exception of the 1960’s. Division weakens us. Our enemies are always looking to exploit a weakness. You can be sure they are paying very close attention. Are our leaders?