Another Super Bowl; another appearance by the New England Patriots (yawn). This will be the Patriots third appearance in a row, their 4th in the last five years, and their 11th overall. Maybe, the game should be renamed “The Patriots Invitational.” LOL.
To mark the occasion, I have compiled a quiz. Some of the questions may be too difficult for casual football fans, but I have to challenge the hard core football fans. Remember, no peeking.
1. The first Super Bowl was played in what year?
2. The losing team in the first SB was:
3. This will be the third consecutive SB appearance for the Patriots. Which team made four consecutive appearances (and lost them all).
a. Buffalo Bills
b. Dallas Cowboys
c. Philadelphia Eagles
d. Miami Dolphins
4. Which city has hosted the most games (tied with Miami)?
a. New Orleans
c. Los Angeles
5. How many Super Bowls have been decided in overtime?
6. Which franchise has won the most SBs?
b. San Francisco
d. New England
7. Each of the following teams is undefeated in SBs except:
d. Green Bay
8. The name “Super Bowl” was derived from:
a. College “bowl” games
b. Fan vote
c. Media feedback
d. Child’s toy
9. Who has won the most SB MVPs?
a. Bart Starr
b. Tom Brady
c. Eli Manning
d. Joe Montana
10. Who was the only MVP from the losing team?
a. Chuck Howley
b. Len Dawson
c. Bruce Smith
d. Icky Woods
11. How many defensive players have been MVP of a SB?
12. Which of the below cities has never hosted a SB?
a. Santa Clara
d. Washington, DC
13. Which of the below networks has not telecast any Super Bowls?
14. Each of the following has not appeared in a SB, except:
15. Who will be performing at halftime?
b. Lady Gaga
c. Gladys Knight
d. Maroon 5
16. How many times has a team played the SB in its home stadium?
17. Which team won SB VII to cap an undefeated season?
a. New York
18. The coldest temperature for a SB held outdoors was 39 degrees in which city?
b. New Orleans
19. Which of the following coaches has taken more than one team to a SB?
a. Don Shula
b. Tom Landry
c. Bill Belichek
d. Vince Lombardi
20. Which coach has the most SB wins?
a. Don Shula
b. Bill Belichick
c. Mike Shanahan
d. Chuck Noll
21. Which of the below-listed quarterbacks did not win any Super Bowls.
a. Jim Plunkett
b. Dan Marino
c. Joe Namath
d. Terry Bradshaw
22. After whom is the SB trophy named?
a. Pete Rozelle
b. Paul Brown
c. Al Davis
d. Vince Lombardi
23. Which player has won the most SB rings (tied with Tom Brady)?
a. Adam Vinatieri
b. Charles Haley
c. Terry Bradshaw
d. Bob Lilly
24. Which half-time entertainer became (in)famous for a “wardrobe malfunction?”
b. Janet Jackson
d. Lady Gaga
25. What marginal player became famous for the “helmet catch” in SBXLII (Giants vs. Pats)?
a. Plaxico Burris
b. Randy Moss
c. David Tyree
d. Bob Schnelker
Extra credit: Where did Tom Brady attend college?
ANSWERS: 1. b; 2. d; 3. a; 4. a (10); 5. b; 6. c; 7. d; 8. d; 9. b(4); 10. a (SB V); 11.c; 12. d; 13. d, 14. b; 15. d; 16. a; 17. c; 18. b; 19. a; 20. b(5); 21. b; 22. d; 23. b(5); 24. b; 25. c
Bonus answer: Michigan
My prediction: 31-27 Pats. I hope I’m wrong. What’s yours?