The following is another in a series of fun quizzes. As always, no peeking at the internet, and no asking “Alexa.”
- Who was the first US vice president?
(a) Thomas Jefferson, (b) Aaron Burr, (c) John Adams, (d) Alexander Hamilton
2. Who was the only person to serve as both president and vice president without having been elected to either office?
(a) Gerald Ford, (b) Herbert Hoover, (c) James Madison, (d) John Quincy Adams
3. Who was the only president to serve two terms, non-consecutively?
(a) Rutherford B. Hayes, (b) Grover Cleveland, (c) James K. Polk, (d) William McKinley
4. The Battle of New Orleans was a pivotal battle in which war?
(a) French and Indian War, (b) Revolutionary War, (c) War of 1812, (d) Civil War,
5. What is the capital of Kentucky?
(a) Louisville, (b) Lexington, Nashville, (d) Frankfurt
6. How many presidents have died in office?
(a) 5, (b) 6, (c) 7, (d) 8
7. Which president served the shortest term?
(a) William Henry Harrison, (b) Zachary Taylor, (c) James K. Polk, (d) JFK
8. Which was the last of the 48 contiguous states to gain statehood?
(a) New Mexico, (b) Hawaii, (c) Arizona, (d) Colorado
9. Donald Trump is the 45th president of the US. How many vice presidents have there been?
(a) 45, (b) 46, (c) 47, (d) 48
10. How many vice presidents have later become president?
(a) 10, (b) 14, (c) 16, (d) 25
11. How many of them immediately succeeded the president due to death, disability or other reasons?
(a) 4, (b) 6, (c) 9, (d) 10
12. Which state was NOT part of the Louisiana Purchase?
(a) Texas, (b) Wyoming, (c) Missouri, (d) Wisconsin
13. What is the capital of Ohio?
(a) Columbus, (b) Oxford, (c) Cleveland, (d) Cincinnati
14. Which of these states was part of the Gadsden Purchase?
(a) Oregon, (b) New Mexico, (c) North Dakota, (d) Texas
15. How many vice presidents served under FDR?
(a) (a) 1, (b) 2, (c) 3, (d) 4
16. Who was president when the US defeated the Barbary Pirates?
(a) George Washington, (b) Thomas Jefferson, (c) Andrew Jackson (d) Dwight Eisenhower
17. Which president is credited with ending the “Cold War” with the Soviet Union?
(a) Jimmy Carter, (b) Harry Truman, (c) Ronald Reagan, (d) George W. Bush
18. From which country did the US purchase Alaska?
(a) Canada; (b) England, (c) Mexico, (d) Russia
19. Which famous Indian leader defeated General Custer at the Little Bighorn?
(a) Crazy Horse, (b) Cochese, (c) Geronimo, (d) Pocahontas
20. Which President issued a “doctrine” warning European powers basically to “butt out” of the New World?
(a) George Washington, (b) Thomas Jefferson, (c) James Madison, (d) James Monroe
Answers: 1. c; 2. a; 3. b; 4. c; 5. d; 6. d [William Henry Harrison, Zachary Taylor, Abraham Lincoln, James A. Garfield, William McKinley, Warren G. Harding, Franklyn D. Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy]; 7. a; 8. c; 9. d; 10. b; 11. c [John Tyler, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Chester A. Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Harry S Truman, LBJ, and Gerald Ford]; 12. d; 13. a; 14. b; 15. c; 16. b; 17. c; 18. d; 19. a; 20. d.
Well, that wasn’t too bad. How did you do?